Friday 30 November 2007

10th November

DP 314

I was trying out something a little unusual here - this is a metalpoint drawing on acrylic gesso. Metalpoint is something I read about in The Drawing Book by Sarah Simblet, which I reviewed very positively over on Up All Night Again. I happened to have a brass tool sitting on the desk in my studio and was excited to accidentally discover that it made a mark on paper and an even better mark on gesso.

Simblet specifically discusses silverpoint in her book and says that it needs to be sealed to stop the marks turning brown. I didn't use any fixative on this drawing, so it will be interesting to see if it changes colour at all. However, since I used brass instead of silver it might be OK since I believe that brass is much less reactive to oxygen than silver.

Posted: 11.56pm on 10.11.07
Returned: 13.11.07

No comments: