Thursday 18 October 2007

3rd October

DP 276

So far I haven't drawn any identical envelopes but obviously, I have definite themes and styles. I know that's unavoidable and I don't object to it. So why do I feel so guilty about my love of ovals and my tendency to return to them again and again?

Perhaps I should listen to Edith Wharton who said: "Another unsettling element in modern art is that common symptom of immaturity, the dread of doing what has been done before." Mind you, she also said, "Beware of monotony; it's the mother of all the deadly sins." How wide or deep you plough your furrow has always been a pressing question for artists - are you exploring something richly and deeply or just in a rut?


Posted: 9.36pm on 3.10.07
Returned: 16.10.07

1 comment:

jafabrit said...

Oh gosh, I relate so well to this. I don't want to get so comfortable that I don't challenge myself, but I don't want to deny what I LOVE doing. A conundrum I suppose many an artist face, yes?